There are, of course, the general advice on computer security, applicable to any operating systems, but each platform also has its own vulnerabilities, which you should send a special compassion. Below are tips to ensure safety of Microsoft Windows XP.
1. Disable all insecure function. In all Microsoft Windows systems by default the whole system functions perfectly useless in terms of convenience and represents a significant threat to the security operating system. In their midst - AutoPlay (Autorun), the Guest account (Guest) and, moreover, set Automatic Updates (Automatic Update). Allow the unknown boys from Redmond to find a solution, when and what changes to use the operating system, though they do not know what it installed the software and is compatible with the next update it - a useless idea. Many of the features Microsoft Windows, enabled by default, are poorly written in terms of computer security or, at least ideally not be suppressed for most users. They all pose a potential threat to the system, because those functions that you do not use, you should disable it.
2. Disable all unnecessary services. In addition to the OS is useless function to disable all unnecessary services. Nearly smooth year back I published an article "Ten Services MS Windows XP, which stands disabled" (10 services to turn off in MS Windows XP), which provides a brief list of services that should be disabled or even to assure that they are really needed. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list, but first he will do.
3. Use a reliable email protection techniques. Perform all basic advice would be to ensure the security of e-mails to ensure that the "bad guys" can not size up the text of your letter, does not overwhelm you with spam and will not practice on the technology you are phishing.
4. Install and systematically update the application for protection from malicious software. Malicious software is still a major threat to operating systems Microsoft Windows (for whatever reason it may happen), and under these conditions, my own way to leave your computer unprotected - austere irresponsible. Come to the choice of antivirus and antispyware software is thorough and thoroughly. Constantly update the database of signatures of its security software, due to the fact that it can protect the system from only those threats that are able to recognize. And do not be hard to hold on to antivirus chosen 6 years ago: In this industry there is no such thing as a brand, which is permitted to rely unconditionally.
5. Upgrade not only the operating system, but also other software. Most applications are working with Microsoft Windows, comes from third party vendors who do not have any relation to the distribution channels proprietary software Microsoft. So, when you install something like Adobe Photoshop or Mozilla Firefox for security updates of those products have to look specifically. Monthly Update Microsoft can get enough: some applications from third-party vendors also need to update. Not to give offense to the system truly secure, you need to watch the regular updating of all installed programs, because that protection is needed not only the main components of the OS.
6. Inspect and test all the updates. On the one hand, the operating system must continually update and install all security patches from Microsoft and other manufacturers, becoming available to fix software vulnerabilities. With the other hand, in his time than to use each received update to a working system, you should examine their contents and try them out on the test machine. Needless often users and more system administrators have to make sure that unverified updates are even worse than their absence: they disrupt the normal functioning of the system, create new vulnerabilities and sometimes more than that negate the whole benefit from the previous update. To start permitted easy to read reviews of other users of the next update - someone just has to test it or set a simple and bezotlozhno also faced with all sorts of problems you through the information received can be avoided. And of course, in the past than becoming an update on your work computer, you need to try it on a test system to make sure that it does not cause any problems in this particular configuration.
7. Look for alternatives to the standard software. Does not it make sense to use a different browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla, Opera) instead of the standard Internet Explorer? Would it be in terms of convenience and safety of multi-protocol IM-client Pidgin with the OTR encryption complement better the native client for AIM, MSN, Y! M, ICQ and gTalk? One method is to learn it - clearly articulate their requirements for software, to investigate all available information and take an informed conclusion. Should not be limited to standard applications, without analyzing the full implications of this choice.
8. Use a quality firewall for the desktop. Generally, in many respects firewalls desktop is no different from all other user applications, they deserve special mention in the context of safety MS Windows. More, more Windows servers in fact - the same desktop, because server operating systems nature has not constitute sufficient grounds for rejection of a reliable "custom" firewall, if there is a chance for him to donate a certain amount of CPU and RAM. But for a truly custom operating system firewall, of course, even more necessary. Suffice with standard built-in applications - hence, to determine a threat to its security system, moreover this is not suspecting it. Firewall Windows (Windows Firewall), that is part of the MS Windows XP since Service Pack Service Pack 2 - it's certainly better than nothing, but there are far more advanced means of protection. Read the alternatives and select the firewall to fully meet your needs.
9. Analyze the alternatives, in their time than to stop our selection on MS Windows XP. On the choice of operating systems apply the same principles as to the choice of individual applications. Different systems have different levels of security and functionality. In fact, if you fit akkurat MS Windows XP? Have you thought about other options - MS Windows 2000 or Vista, and perhaps more MacOS X, FreeBSD, or Ubuntu Linux for desktop and OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, or OpenVMS server?
For full use of MS Windows XP a little easy to determine. This is only an initial step, and if it stand, unprotected organization will be open to all sorts of potential threats that exist on the Internet. Do not be lazy to reliably defend ourselves and our computer from the ever-present dangers!